Monday, May 9, 2011

Dieuwertje: Wake up call

Last week I joined an advisory during Social Reasoning.
We read an article and discussed about it. This time it was about whether it’s  allowed/justified to use presumptions/prejudices .
They used an example about Muslims. Unfortunately we see these days that this specific group experiences more problems at customs. They are searched more often than others. Same goes for people who’re traveling from a country that is known for  problems concerning drugs.
It was a good discussion between the students in advisory about the use of presumptions and prejudices and the negative effects of it.
Why I’m talking about this?
Well... just 2 days ago it suddenly became clear to me that teachers are doing the same thing…
When it comes to our students we have our own presumptions. Even when we don’t think we do, or try not to. We’re sometimes just not aware.
It’s almost a human characteristic. We generalize..because it’s easier… because we assume..
We assume about the motivation of students, about their behavior, about their family and their backgrounds..

I’m happy to see that at the Met people don’t assume that much.
They ask.
So they know.
I’m even happier to see that at my own school back in the Netherlands, we also asking more and more. We’re getting to know our students, their personalities, their backgrounds and their passions…
Just by asking. As simple as that.
And though I sometimes catch myself assuming  (hmm..that student is late again....he probably  didn’t feel like listening to his alarm clock…always the same story..but then finding out that he had to bring his sister to school again because his mother is sick)…I’m getting there..
Sometimes you need a reminder..
This week I got two; First there was Elliot…reminding me about how important it is to start asking questions. About getting to know one another.
And then I got the reminder I just wrote about; I’m awake again!

Dieuwertje Greuter
Prakticon, Doetinchem

No comments:

Post a Comment